Adobe RoboHelp 7 is more stable with 7.01 release
by Gurpreet Singh
When RoboHelp6 was introduced, there wasn’t much to get excited about. User defined variables was the only major addition. However, Adobe RoboHelp 7 changed the way people work with Help Authoring Tools. Packed with a new MDI interface, support for over 35 languages, removal of kadov tags and several other enhancements, it was a dream that many Technical Communicators would have seen.
As they say, “all that glitters is not Gold”. RoboHelp 7 has had some serious issues which stopped many Technical Communicators, including me, to upgrade from RoboHelp X5, or RoboHelp 6 to RH7 such as:
- Search does not work properly in CHM output generated in complex asian languages.
- When an X5 Project is upgraded to RoboHelp 7.0 some topics may remain empty in certain scenarios.
- Browse sequence doesn’t get auto generated via TOC on importing complex Frame maker file.
- If style sheet is accessed by clicking Format | Styles, then after style sheet creation changes to the styles could not be made successfully in the first attempt. The dialog has to be reopened to make changes.
- Any formatting changes to a paragraph could not be saved as a paragraph style on the fly using Formatting toolbar.
- Search does not work properly in CHM output generated in few languages.
- When an X5 project is upgraded to RoboHelp 7.0 topic files-names might get converted to Title Case.
- Images with Text wrapping applied do not appear in Printed Documentation output.
- DHTML effects applied on styles do not get automatically updated without opening the topic.
- Security vulnerability related to cross-site scripting attacks in WebHelp and FlashHelp Single Source Layouts has been fixed.
- Frame Maker style with DHTML effects when mapped to a RoboHelp style do not retain DHTML effects on mapping.
- While renaming a Snippet or a UDV, the Topics opened in the editor may get saved without a prompt.
- While viewing content in Mozilla Firefox, some of the TOC Books may not open until any topic is opened manually. Additionally the default topic is not shown if it is under some book.
- In certain scenarios hotspots created on Shed files are missing in the FlashHelp output for RoboHelp for Word.
- Conditional Build Tags when applied differently in multiple cells of a table do not appear properly in output.
- Previewing of an unsaved topic results in saving the topic without giving any prompt.
- HTML topics may not get generated if a structured Frame Maker file is imported or added to a RoboHelp project.
- In case of multiple cross reference markers applied to paragraphs each linked to different sources in a FrameMaker file, the hyperlinks are not formed on importing or linking the file to RoboHelp project.
- Inserting image with path more than 120 characters do not work properly.
With the availability of a patch (RoboHelp 7.0.1), the bugs seems to be cleared making it more stable and worthy of a thorough review. Even the notorious RoboHelp Cross-Site Scripting issue is solved. More information about the patch is available at the official Adobe TechComm blog: